If you grew up being convinced that putting yourself first is selfish, you are not alone.
Have you ever swallowed down a bad day because someone else was in need of consolation? Do you find yourself agreeing to do things even though your own plate is full?
Sometimes you just don’t want to take that Zoom call or do that favour. And that’s okay.
It’s like flight attendants say: “you have to put on your own oxygen mask first!”
2020 has been demanding enough. Combine that with the usual difficulties of the winter and holiday season, and you probably find yourself feeling a little run down.
In this season of giving, you deserve to give a little bit to yourself, too. Fill up your own cup, body, mind, and spirit! Taking a little time for yourself isn’t selfish, it’s necessary.
Here are our tips for paying a little more attention to yourself this season:
Looking your best can give you a much-needed jolt of confidence and positivity. Think of the way you feel on a great hair day – the world seems a little brighter somehow! Spending a little extra time taking care of one part of your physical appearance, like your hair, can give you some positive energy.
If you’re like me, you might have been experiencing breakage and damage to your hair lately. Turns out, there might be an unlikely culprit.
Sanitizer can save lives, but it can also damage your skin and hair. As I learned the hard way, when you run sanitized hands through your processed hair, the alcohol contact mixed with directional tension can cause brittleness and breakage. As a hair stylist, I have a few tips to combat this damage:
• Tuck the front portions of your hair in when outside to protect from the elements
• Rinse off sanitizer with water after 2 minutes
• Dry hair fully after showers before heading outside
Keeping your hair beautiful and healthy is a great self-esteem boost! (And, of course, you can always see me here at Salon Bliss to get that amazing salon-fresh hair feeling.)
Getting into the spirit of the holidays when you’re feeling run down is a struggle. To take a page out of Marie Kondo’s book, you need to do things that spark joy!
- Sing! It acts as a natural anti-depressant! Crank up the tunes and belt out your favourite holiday classics or just your favourite shower song. There is reason they say that music is food for the soul.
- Set up your environment. If you love festive lights and eggnog, take a moment to bask in the glow of the tree with a big glass! The dishes can wait.
- Get your vitamin D. Get outside and into the light when the weather allows. There is just something about a bright, sunny day that can lift your mood. At the salon, we know how important light is, which is why we love the bright natural lighting that pours in from the windows.
The mental load can feel overwhelming during this season. It is important to step back and allow yourself to take a break from the world for a little while.
• Say “no” more often. Stop crutching your sentences with ‘just’s and ‘sorry’s. If you aren’t feeling up for something, don’t be afraid to speak up!
• Meditate. A simple 5-minute meditation with mindfulness to breath goes a long way for mental clarity and peace.
• Turn off your phone. Disengage from social media and the 24-hour news cycle for a few hours. Do something you love – like getting a scalp massage at your favourite salon or going for a brisk walk. All those posts will still be there when you get back.
Prioritizing yourself – body, spirit, and mind – this “Blissmas” season is not selfish, it’s necessary! I would love to see you at the salon for a few hours of pampering – you’ve earned it.